Friday 21 March 2014

Small Steps

I realize this is a touchy subject but I have decided to share my opinion thoughts and encounters with suicide. I once heard a great expression that I believed summed up suicide perfectly, “a permanent solution to a temporary problem”.
I understand people how people can be depressed and I can also see how people left behind can describe it as selfish. It is a controversial subject to say the least. But in a time of global economic recession I feel it is getting better.
            Depression is a horrible illness and I would like to think I understand how hard it is for people. I have encountered people with depression and I must say it is not easy to deal with but I do try to understand. I think this is one of the most import things is to just and try to understand. I wonder how much different it would have been if someone who took their own life had some one to talk too, someone who understands, would it have been a different outcome? Unfortunately all we can do is guess.
            I remember being involve in a discussion between a group of twelve when training to become a mentor and during the discussion the topic of suicide rose to the surface. One of the lads had obviously been affected and was clearly upset. I will forever remember how he described the act of suicide as “selfish” this cause a row almost between but when I listen to his explanation. I could see why he was so upset. He had see first hand the devastation and destruction left behind after suicide. He felt the victim had only thought of himself and did not stop to think about the pain his actions left on his family and friends.
            On a lighter not I am sure that suicide is now being addressed by our nation.  Its time we addressed the elephant in the room this is a real problem. Finally as a result of our nation becoming more open minded, people are recovering from depression. We are taking small steps, but steps in the right direction.